Thai New Year

 Splash! As we felt the cold water soak into our shirts and cool us off. I quickly grab my water bucket and splash the people around me. This water party is a celebration for the Thai New Year on April 13th.

I was very excited  to experience this celebration in Ao Nang, Krabi. The new year is called Songkran and people will splash you with water to wash away the bad spirits. My family and I spent the afternoon celebrating.

 We were lucky to catch a ride in the back of a bus with a local family. The bus had 5 massive buckets filled with water. We were driven around town splashing everyone we could see. The roads were filled with families in the back of trucks, people on the sidewalk blasting music and smiling. 

I'm so thrilled I was a part of this amazing celebration, Thailand has been my favorite place for cultural experiences.    

 




Comments

  1. My students loved seeing your pictures and video of Songkran! We have a student who celebrated the Thai new year in Vancouver, British Columbia, so we were able to compare your experiences. My class agreed that the water fight looked like fun. We were excited to see the coloured powder on your faces. That reminded us of what people do during Holi. I love that you have been able to take part in so many cultural events. Leisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snorkeling in Thailand

Temples in Cambodia